Cookies on this website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Accept all cookies' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. If you click 'Reject all non-essential cookies' only necessary cookies providing core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility will be enabled. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.

Hepatitis c virusThe most common cause of hepatitis (inflammation of the liver) is viral infection. There are several viruses known to cause hepatitis, the most common of which are hepatitis A, B and C.

The Hepatitis C virus is an RNA virus transmitted predominantly by blood-to-blood contact. There are 6 major genetic variations of the virus known as genotypes 1 – 6. Multiple subtypes of these genotypes also exist, e.g. 1a and 1b. Genotype 1 and 3 are the most common genotypes of hepatitis C viral infection in the UK.

Hepatitis C viral infection is defined by 2 stages -  “acute” or “chronic”. Acute infection is categorised as the first 6 months following exposure to the virus and approximately 20% of people will naturally clear the virus from their body during this time. However, the remaining 80% of people will not clear the virus and will develop chronic (long-term) infection. Chronic infection is serious disease than can result in long-term health problems.