Cookies on this website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Accept all cookies' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. If you click 'Reject all non-essential cookies' only necessary cookies providing core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility will be enabled. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.

Fifty-two patients who had been bitten by Russell's vipers in Myanmar developed acute renal failure (serum creatinine exceeding 1.3 mg/dL). Thirty-four of them (65%) became oliguric, but the other 18 (35%) maintained a urine output of more than 400 mL/24 h. In oliguric patients, gastrointestinal haemorrhages, renal angle tenderness and conjunctival oedema occurred more commonly, and peak serum creatinine, blood urea nitrogen and the fractional excretion of sodium were significantly higher (P < 0.01) than in non-oliguric patients, indicating a greater degree of renal damage. Urinary concentrations of beta 2 microglobulin and retinol binding protein were raised in most of the patients indicating failure of proximal tubular reabsorption of these proteins, while high urinary N-acetyl glucosaminidase concentrations were consistent with renal tubular damage. Plasma concentrations of active renin were very high, suggesting that renal ischaemia, associated with activation of the renin-angiotensin system, was involved in the development of renal dysfunction.


Journal article


Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg

Publication Date





678 - 681


Acute Kidney Injury, Adult, Animals, Conjunctival Diseases, Edema, Female, Humans, Ischemia, Kidney, Male, Oliguria, Prospective Studies, Russell's Viper, Snake Bites, Viper Venoms