Health & Safety
Induction test must be completed by new starters and on an annual basis as a refresher.
If it is not completed, access to the laboratory may be denied until completion.
- Safety Office - Read more
Laboratory Workers must attend Biological & GMO Safety Training
To book a place, visit https://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/safety/safetytraining/course/?crsID=112
- Fire Safety Training - The fire training pages of the Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust Website are currently being re-developed. For the latest hospital fire training attend a session of the Statutory and Mandatory training. The relevant sessions are run most Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 14.15 for an hour. Please check dates and times at the Oxford University Hospital website.
Annual attendance is Mandatory for all JR staff
Process for New Starters/ Visitors to the Laboratory/ Work Experience
1. Download and complete the relevant form with the Group Leader’s authorization and return to Personnel or the Lab Manager as far in advance of the visitor’s arrival as possible.
2. The form must be then authorized by the Head of the Department, Business Manager and Lab Manager/Departmental Safety Officer.
3. Once the necessary authorizations have been obtained, an induction date/time can be scheduled with;
a. Take copy of passport
b. Provide form for University Card
ii. Laboratory Manager
a. Meet and greet
b. Tour of facilities
c. Receipt of Lab Safety Handbook
4. Access to the Laboratories requires completion of an online Health & Safety Test based on the information provided in the Handbook
i. A pass mark of 75% is required before access fob is given (£5 deposit required)
5. Depending on the visitation, the visitor may require use of OWL or may require a university email set up (please see IT section below)
Process for Laboratory Leavers
Please contact the Personnel department.
- All laboratory activities must be covered by a risk assessment. The risk assessment should be activity based and inclusive of reagents, chemicals, locations and equipment used and to address any hazards associated.
- All work involving GMO must be covered by an assessment. For more information on this please follow the link to the Safety Office webpage. Read More
Health & Safety Committee
The Health & Safety committee meet termly to discuss change in policy, appraise incidents and near-misses from the last period and to look forward at improving Health &safety within the department.
Health and Safety Committee Members
|Andrew Thompson||Fiona Powrie||Julie Hamilton|
|Brad Sutherland||Graham Ross||Claire Pearson|
|Carolina Arancibia||Ishita Marwah||Helen Ferry|
|Dai Griffiths||Jo Hovard||Robin Sparkes|
|James Chivenga||Uzi Gileadi||Anne Hansen|
|Sebastian Rogatti Granados|